I wanted to give you my two cents on the matter, plus some simple, practical tips that everyone can follow to shore up their immune systems and make them more resistant, as well as some things to do if you feel you have come down with the flu, or worst of all may have contracted this virus.
How Concerned Should We Be?
First of all, let me state that this is indeed a potentially serious threat. Though the cases in the US have been mild, there have been over 100 confirmed deaths in Mexico attributed to this illness, since April 13th. That is not something to take lightly. While I don't think it is close to a time for panic, I think we should all take positive steps to improve upon our immune system function, in turn reducing our susceptibility to this or any other virus. I am definitely in support of the "better safe than sorry" tactic on this one.
On the other hand, it is important to also remember that even though the media seems to be saying a pandemic is all but imminent, the number of cases in the US is still tiny when looked at on a grander scale, or compared to even the average winter flu. In other words, you should keep a watchful eye, follow at least some of the steps I recommend and basically brace for a problem, but at the same time, keep living your life and not let the typical, overblown media coverage scare you too much!
How to Prevent the Spread of this or any other Flu
- Avoid contact with people if they are sick.
- Stay at home — from work, school or other public activities — when you are ill.
- Shield others from your coughs and sneezes by using a tissue.
- Wash your hands often with a natural (vs antibacterial) soap.
- Keep your hands away from your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Eat lots of garlic. I recommend a raw clove every day or every other day, along with cooking with it whenever possible.
- Eat lots of shiitake mushrooms.
- Practice these the Healing Breath Exercise every morning and night.
- Do regular exercise without over doing it. And rest if you start getting flu symptoms.
- Get lots of sunshine and vitamin D.
- Eat like a caveman and Stay away from soda, juice and other forms of sugar as much as possible.
- Use Now Foods Activated Nasal Mist once or twice a day.
- Constitutional Hydrotherapy Everyday
- Take large, frequent doses of Echinacea, Garlic and Elderberry, three of the best antivirals around.
- Take Oscillococcinum at recommended doses, at the first sign of illness. (available in most healthfood stores)
- If you have a fever over 99.5 DO NOT consume anything other than bone broth, unsweetened electrolyte formulas (if vomiting or diarrhea), water or herbal tea until the fever goes below this number. Nursing children should continue nursing as they desire.
- ABSOLUTELY NO GLUTEN, DAIRY, SUGAR OR SUGARY FOODS.
- Pick a homeopathic remedy that most closely matches your symptoms.
- Take Vitamin D3 at 1000iu per kilogram body weight (1 kg + 2.2 lbs) for three days in a row.
- Continue Healing Breath Exercise.
- Contact me or another doctor if you are not getting better!